Created in 2007, italki is a language learning platform offering more than 130 languages. Who knew that there were that many? The platform currently has over 5 million learners and 10,000 teachers.
italki is available on mobile and tablet via Android or iOS.
The italki method
The app’s concept is simple: to connect language students with teachers all over the world via video conference.
When students register on the platform, they choose a teacher, schedule a date and then connect via Skype or Zoom at the agreed-upon time for their lesson.
The italki method is based on three pillars:
Personalized learning: learners can choose a teacher according to their learning objective(s), level and interests.
Pay-as-you-go: lessons are paid for individually and the teachers set their own prices. That way, learners can choose a price that suits their budget
Flexible use: the platform’s users are free to learn where, when and with whom they want to learn a new language.
The Gymglish method
Since 2004, Gymglish has been offering fun, adaptive online lessons for languages and more, based on regular sessions to optimize long term gains and memorization because there’s no use developing wonderful educational tools if they aren’t used. Gymglish motivates and encourages its users to continue their progress by making e-learning as fun as possible.
- A daily email or push notification: Gymglish users receive a lesson every morning (by email or push notification on mobiles and tablets), making lessons easily accessible. There’s no need to remember passwords or logins, meaning learners are more likely to stay on track.
- Microlearning: 10 to 15 minutes a day is enough to complete a lesson. We recommend short but regular effort over the long run.
- Adaptive learning: Our AI software adapts each lesson to the needs and level of the learner. He or she receives personalized content, explanations and corrections to make sure every minute is well spent.
- Fun, practical content: Our lessons include diverse characters and personalties, various accents, professional and personal situations, all with a touch of humour. Using humour in our storytelling not only motivates the learner and stimulates memorisation, but also addresses the great number of different ways we communicate, work and live together.
- Spaced repetition learning: Depending on each individual’s learning speed and capacity to remember, the engine will define different time intervals for reviewing specific points. This optimizes long-term memorization and makes sure revision is as effective as possible.
Click here to find out more about Gymglish’s approach.
- Language skills tested: listening and speaking
- Exchanges with native speakers all over the world
- Community tool: possible for learners to chat with other learners in their mother tongue, consultation of articles and use of a virtual notebook in which learners can write texts subsequently corrected by a native speaker
- Video and written presentation of each teacher to present their qualifications and teaching style.
- Possibility of a 30-minute trial lesson at a reduced rate for new learners
- italki language test: 45-minute adaptive multiple-choice test to assess learners’ reading, vocabulary, grammar and speaking skills, cost: €25.
- Language skills tested: reading, listening and writing
- Innovative learning technologies: adaptive learning, spaced learning, and microlearning to ensure retention of knowledge over time
- Access to a User Space which includes latest lessons and corrections, areas of interest, statistics on each learner’s level, progress and participation rate, etc.
- Fun and engaging content to keep users motivated
- Cultural references at the end of each lesson (films, series, songs, quotes, etc.)
- Free level assessment
- Personalization of lessons according to each learner’s level, strengths and weaknesses
Find out more about Gymglish’s features.
italki: for which level?
italki is aimed at all types of learners, from beginner (A1) to advanced (C1). The wide range of levels is due to students’ ability to choose any teacher they like in the language of their choice.
Gymglish: for which level?
Gymglish is suitable for all levels except true beginners and offers a free seven-day trial after which each learner receives a complete level assessment (containing an outline of their current strengths and weaknesses).
How much does italki cost?
italki does not operate with monthly subscriptions, it has a “pay-as-you-go” system. Teachers are free to set their own rates, usually between €8 and €15 per hour, and learners pay for their lessons individually.
How much does Gymglish cost?
All Gymglish’s language course prices are available here.
Gymglish vs. italki at a glance
|Free trial||No||Yes (7 days)|
|Number of language courses||130+||5 language courses|
|Platform||Mobile application||IOS and Android mobile application / Desktop|
|Strong points||Adaptive learning|
Diversity of languages and teachers available
Flexibility of use
Collaborative tools (notebooks, articles, chat, etc.)
Fun and humorous content
Personalized learning plan
|Prices||Between €8 and €12 per hour on average||From € 14 /month|
|Subscription period||“Pay-as-you-go”||6 to 36 months.|
|Levels||All levels||All levels, except true beginners (A2 to C2)|
|Language skills tested||Listening, speaking||Reading, listening and writing (business and professional English)|
Learn a new language with Gymglish
Related articles :
- Babbel vs. Gymglish: which is best?
- Mosalingua vs. Gymglish: which is best?
- Rosetta Stone vs. Gymglish: which is best?
- Busuu vs. Gymglish: which is best?
- Memrise vs. Gymglish: which is best?
- Lingvist vs. Gymglish: which is best?
- Mondly vs. Gymglish: which is best?
- HelloTalk vs. Gymglish: which is best?
- Drops vs. Gymglish: which is best?
- Duolingo English vs. Gymglish: which is best?