Launched in 2008, Busuu is an online language lesson platform currently offering 12 languages.
Busuu is available on desktop, mobile devices and tablets. More than 100 million people worldwide use this learning platform.
The Busuu method
Once users have registered, the platform asks which language users wish to learn as well as the reason for learning it (for a trip, for work, to learn about different cultures, etc.). Then, the user can either choose their level among the 4 available levels (A1, A2, B1 or B2) or decide to take a placement test.
Busuu offers ten to fifteen lessons per level, with a total of 60 lessons per language. Users also have access to vocabulary lists based on their lessons.
Each course is made up of several modules to work on four language skills (listening, reading, speaking and writing). Each lesson unit showcases a specific theme (cooking, travel, shopping, etc.) and is designed to teach new, useful vocabulary in stages. At the end of the module, the learner completes practice exercises and takes quizzes. Busuu also offers a voice recording exercise in which users can record a dialogue which can be corrected by another user on the platform. Unlike other language learning platforms, the correction of exercises is carried out by members of the community.
The Busuu method is based on several principles:
- Microlearning: short learning sessions of 10 minutes per day
- Personalized learning plan: called a “study plan”, this feature allows each learner to create a personalized learning plan to achieve a specific goal.
- Conversation tool with native speakers (correction, speaking, etc.)
The Gymglish method
Since 2004, Gymglish has been offering fun, adaptive online lessons for languages and more, based on regular sessions to optimize long term gains and memorization because there’s no use developing wonderful educational tools if they aren’t used. Gymglish motivates and encourages its users to continue their progress by making e-learning as fun as possible.
- A daily email or push notification: Gymglish users receive a lesson every morning (by email or push notification on mobiles and tablets), making lessons easily accessible. There’s no need to remember passwords or logins, meaning learners are more likely to stay on track.
- Microlearning: 10 to 15 minutes a day is enough to complete a lesson. We recommend short but regular effort over the long run.
- Adaptive learning: Our AI software adapts each lesson to the needs and level of the learner. He or she receives personalized content, explanations and corrections to make sure every minute is well spent.
- Fun, practical content: Our lessons include diverse characters and personalities, various accents, professional and personal situations, all with a touch of humor. Using humor in our storytelling not only motivates the learner and stimulates memorization, but also addresses the great number of different ways we communicate, work and live together.
- Spaced repetition learning: Depending on each individual’s learning speed and capacity to remember, the engine will define different time intervals for reviewing specific points. This optimizes long-term memorization and makes sure revision is as effective as possible.
Click here to find out more about Gymglish’s approach.
- Language skills tested: listening, reading, speaking, writing
- 24/7 access to video lessons thanks to a database of 100,000 professional teachers
- Voice recognition system
- Collaborative correction system
- An official McGraw-Hill Education certificate at the end of each CEFR level (only for English, Spanish, French, German, Italian and Portuguese)
- Offline mode
- Access to progress statistics via a weekly report
Features of Gymglish:
- Language skills tested: reading, listening and writing
- Innovative learning technologies: adaptive learning, spaced learning, and microlearning to ensure retention of knowledge over time
- End-of-training learning report with statistics on learner’s level, progress and participation
- Access to a User Space which includes latest lessons and corrections, areas of interest, statistics on each learner’s level, progress and participation rate, etc.
- Fun and engaging content to keep users motivated
- Cultural references at the end of each lesson (films, series, songs, quote, etc.)
- Free level assessment
- Personalization of lessons according to each learner’s level, strengths and weaknesses.
Find out more about Gymglish’s features.
Busuu: for which level?
Busuu targets 4 levels:
- Beginner (A1)
- Elementary (A2)
- Intermediate (B1)
- Advanced Intermediate (B2)
Busuu is not intended for more advanced levels (C1 and C2).
Gymglish: for which level?
Gymglish is suitable for all levels except true beginners and offers a free seven-day trial after which each learner will receive a complete level assessment (containing an outline of their current strengths and weaknesses).
How much does Busuu cost?
Busuu offers both free and premium versions.
In the free version, users have access to only one language with limited features.
In the premium version, learners have access to all language courses and features. Prices range from € 10.99/month for a one-month subscription to € 6.66/month for a 12-month subscription and € 6.24/month for a 24-month subscription.
How much does Gymglish cost?
All Gymglish language course prices are available here.
Gymglish vs. Busuu at a glance
|Free trial||No||Yes (7 days)|
|Number of language courses||12||5 language courses|
|Platform||Mobile application / Desktop||IOS and Android mobile application / Desktop|
Native speaker community
Official certificate issued at the end of the course
Fun and humorous content
Personalized learning plan
|Prices||Free or paid version: from € 6.24/month||From € 14 /month|
|Subscription period||1, 12 or 24-month subscription (Premium version only)||6 to 36 months.|
|Levels||Beginner and intermediate levels (A1 to B2)||All levels except true beginners (A2 to C2)|
|Language skills tested||Listening, reading, speaking, writing||Reading, listening and writing|