Launched in 2014, Lingvist is a language learning platform that offers 6 languages: English, Spanish, French, German, Russian and Portuguese.
The platform is available for mobile devices on iOS and Android.
The Lingvist method
Lingvist promises to accelerate language learning using big data and artificial intelligence. By mapping the knowledge and skills of learners, Lingvist offers courses that adapt in real time. Lingvist relies on linguistic analysis and personalization of content.
When the user logs in for the first time, they take a flashcard test to assess their vocabulary and reading comprehension level. The user can then spend 45 minutes to 90 minutes a day responding to up to 50 flashcards . They can also add and customize themed word “packages” according to their needs.
How Lingvist works:
1. The learner selects the language they wish to learn
2. They assess their level with a free trial
3. They learn vocabulary using a flashcard system
4. They set a learning reminder and can follow their progress in their personal space
The Gymglish method
Since 2004, Gymglish has been offering fun, adaptive online lessons for languages and more, based on regular sessions to optimize long term gains and memorization because there’s no use developing wonderful educational tools if they aren’t used. Gymglish motivates and encourages its users to continue their progress by making e-learning as fun as possible.
- A daily email or push notification: Gymglish users receive a lesson every morning (by email or push notification on mobiles and tablets), making lessons easily accessible. There’s no need to remember passwords or logins, meaning learners are more likely to stay on track.
- Microlearning: 10 to 15 minutes a day is enough to complete a lesson. We recommend short but regular effort over the long run.
- Adaptive learning: Our AI software adapts each lesson to the needs and level of the learner. He or she receives personalized content, explanations and corrections to make sure every minute is well spent.
- Fun, practical content: Our lessons include diverse characters and personalities, various accents, professional and personal situations, all with a touch of humor. Using humor in our storytelling not only motivates the learner and stimulates memorization, but also addresses the great number of different ways we communicate, work and live together.
- Spaced repetition learning: Depending on each individual’s learning speed and capacity to remember, the engine will define different time intervals for reviewing specific points. This optimizes long-term memorization and makes sure revision is as effective as possible.
Click here to find out more about Gymglish’s approach.
Features of Lingvist:
- Language skills tested: reading, listening and writing, with a speaking option depending on the language
- Voice recognition system (mobile devices only) and virtual voice playback
- Learning technologies: adaptive learning and spaced learning
- Personalization through artificial intelligence and by the users themselves, with the option of selecting themes (“packages”) and adding them to their revision program. The user can choose to add or remove different idioms or expressions from their “packages”.
- 14-day free trial
- Lessons adapt to the learner’s level
Features of Gymglish:
- Language skills tested: reading, listening and writing
- Innovative learning technologies: adaptive learning, spaced learning, and microlearning to ensure retention of knowledge over time
- End-of-training learning report with statistics on learner’s level, progress and participation
- Access to a User Space which includes latest lessons and corrections, areas of interest, statistics on each learner’s level, progress and participation rate, etc.
- Fun and engaging content to keep users motivated
- Cultural references at the end of each lesson (films, series, songs, quote, etc.)
- Free level assessment
- Personalization of lessons according to each learner’s level, strengths and weaknesses.
Find out more about Gymglish’s features.
Lingvist: for which level?
Lingvist targets beginners and intermediate learners (from level A1 to B2 on the CEFR scale). It is not intended for advanced levels (C1 and C2).
Gymglish: for which level?
Gymglish is suitable for all levels except true beginners and offers a free seven-day trial after which each learner will receive a complete level assessment (containing an outline of their current strengths and weaknesses).
How much does Lingvist cost?
Lingvist has several price and subscription offers:
- €19.99 for 1 month
- €79.99 for 12 months ( €6.67 per month)
- €199.99 for a lifetime subscription
How much does Gymglish cost?
All Gymglish language course prices are available here.
Gymglish vs. Lingvist at a glance
|Free trial||Yes (14 days)||Yes (7 days)|
|Number of language courses||6||5 language courses|
|Platform||Mobile app / Desktop||IOS and Android mobile application / Desktop|
|Strong points||Adaptive learning|
Speech recognition (mobiledevices only)
Voice playback of lessons
Fun and humorous content
Personalized learning plan
|Prices||From € 6.67 /month||From € 14 /month|
|Duration of the subscription||From 1 months to a lifetime subscription||6 to 36 months.|
|Levels||A1 to B2||All levels, except true beginners (A2 to C2)|
|Language skills tested||Reading, listening, writing, and a speaking option||Reading, listening and writing (business and professional English)|
Try Gymglish’s online language courses (English, French, Spanish, German or Italian): short, personalized, fun lessons.
Learn a new language with Gymglish
Related articles :
- Duolingo vs. Gymglish: which is best?
- Babbel vs. Gymglish: which is best?
- Rosetta Stone vs. Gymglish: which is best?
- Mosalingua vs. Gymglish: wich is best?
- Busuu vs. Gymglish: wish is best?
- Memrise vs. Gymglish: which is best?
- Lingvist vs. Gymglish: which is best?
- Italki vs Gymglish: which is best?
- Mondly vs. Gymglish: which is best?
- HelloTalk vs. Gymglish: which is best?
- Drops vs. Gymglish: which is best?