Launched in 2008, Babbel is an online language course platform (currently offering training in 14 languages). Babbel is available on computers, phones and tablets.
The Babbel method
Babbel offers short grammar and vocabulary exercises. The application has more than 1,100 lessons, with a choice of several themes (business, international relations, culture, etc.). Each lesson is made up of an interactive audio lesson (featuring grammar and vocabulary exercises) followed by an optional review section.
The learning method includes a variety of exercises. Learners can choose to listen to authentic sentences by native speakers and repeat them using a speech recognition system. As the learner progresses through the lessons, the level of difficulty increases.
Once a lesson is completed, learners have access to review sheets which they can review as many times as they wish. From their user space, learners can track their progress and statistics and review their previous mistakes.
The Babbel method is based on:
- Long-term memorization: a revision tool that uses spaced repetition technology to consolidate what has been learned.
- Microlearning: short lessons of 15 minutes per day.
- Personalized content adapted to the user’s mother tongue to make learning easy.
The Gymglish method
Since 2004, Gymglish has been offering fun, adaptive online lessons for languages and more, based on regular sessions to optimize long term gains and memorization. There’s no use developing wonderful educational tools if they aren’t used. Gymglish motivates and encourages its users to continue their progress by making e-learning as fun as possible.
- A daily email or push notification: Gymglish users receive a lesson every morning (by email or push notification on mobiles and tablets), making lessons easily accessible. There’s no need to remember passwords and logins, meaning learners are more likely to stay on track.
- Microlearning: 10 to 15 minutes a day is enough to complete a lesson. We recommend short but regular effort over the long run.
- Adaptive learning: Our AI software adapts each lesson to the needs and level of the learner. He or she receives personalized content, explanations and corrections to make sure every minute is well spent.
- Fun, practical content: Our lessons include diverse characters and personalities, various accents, professional and personal situations, all with a touch of humor. Using humor in our storytelling not only motivates the learner and stimulates memorization, but also addresses the great number of different ways we communicate, work and live together.
- Spaced repetition learning: Depending on each individual’s learning speed and capacity to remember, the engine will define different time intervals for reviewing specific points. This optimizes long-term memorization and makes sure revision is as effective as possible.
Click here to find out more about Gymglish’s approach.
- Language skills tested: listening, reading and speaking (with speech recognition system)
- Spaced learning which allows users to revise grammar and vocabulary points
- Microlearning technology: short daily learning sessions (no more than 15 minutes)
- Learners can choose personalized topics and themes
- Access to revision sheets for vocabulary and grammar
- Community: users can interact in a forum
- Language skills tested: reading, listening and writing
- Innovative learning technologies: adaptive learning, spaced learning, and microlearning to ensure retention of knowledge over time
- Access to a User Space which includes latest lessons and corrections, areas of interest, statistics on each learner’s level, progress and participation rate, etc.
- Fun and engaging content to keep users motivated
- Cultural references at the end of each lesson (films, series, songs, quote, etc.)
- Free level assessment
- Personalization of lessons according to each learner’s level, strengths and weaknesses.
Find out more about the Gymglish features.
Babbel: for which level?
The platform is designed for beginner and intermediate levels and isn’t suitable for advanced learners. Babbel enables users to reach level B1 on the CEFR scale which corresponds to an intermediate level.
Gymglish: for which level?
Gymglish is suitable for all levels except true beginners. They offer a free seven-day trial after which each learner will receive a complete level assessment (containing an outline of their current strengths and weaknesses).
How much does Babbel cost?
Babbel has several pricing offers: €29.99 for 3 months (€9.99/month), €44.99 for 6 months (€7.49/month) or €59.99 for 12 months (€4.99/month).
How much does Gymglish cost?
All Gymglish language course prices are available here
Gymglish vs. Babbel at a glance
|Free trial||Yes (7 days)||Yes (7 days)|
|Number of language courses||14||5 language courses|
|Platform||Mobile app / Desktop||IOS and Android mobile application / Desktop|
Customization of topics
Fun and humorous content
End of training learning report
Personalized pedagogical content
|Prices||From € 4.99 /month||From € 14 /month|
|Subscription period||3, 6 or 12 months||6 to 36 months|
|Levels||Beginner and intermediate levels||All levels, except true beginners (A2 to C2)|
|Language skills tested||Reading, listening and speaking||Reading, listening, writing|