HelloTalk is a mobile application (Android and iOS) for learning foreign languages, enabling learners to connect with native speakers.
More than 150 languages are available and over 30 million people have created a HelloTalk account.
The HelloTalk method
After registering on the application, users are asked to enter their country of origin, the language they wish to learn and their estimated level in that language. They then have access to a list of teachers.
Filters are available to sort the teachers:
- By age
- By city
- If they are available at a certain time
- If they have a specialization (business, culture, etc.)
When a learner selects a teacher, they can send a message in the language of their choice (this message can be automatically translated into the previously chosen language). A spell and grammar checker is also available.
Note: Learners and teachers can also communicate via group discussions or calls.
The Gymglish method
Since 2004, Gymglish has been offering fun, adaptive online lessons for languages and more, based on regular sessions to optimize long-term gains and memorization because there’s no use developing wonderful educational tools if they aren’t used. Gymglish motivates and encourages its users to continue their progress by making e-learning as fun as possible.
- A daily email or push notification: Gymglish users receive a lesson every morning (by email or push notification on mobiles and tablets), making lessons easily accessible. There’s no need to remember passwords or logins, meaning learners are more likely to stay on track.
- Microlearning: 10 to 15 minutes a day is enough to complete a lesson. We recommend short but regular effort over the long run.
- Adaptive learning: Our AI software adapts each lesson to the needs and level of the learner. He or she receives personalized content, explanations and corrections to make sure every minute is well spent.
- Fun, practical content: Our lessons include diverse characters and personalities, various accents, professional and personal situations, all with a touch of humour. Using humour in our storytelling not only motivates the learner and stimulates memorisation, but also addresses the great number of different ways we communicate, work and live together.
- Spaced repetition learning: Depending on each individual’s learning speed and capacity to remember, the engine will define different time intervals for reviewing specific points. This optimizes long-term memorization and makes sure revision is as effective as possible.
Click here to find out more about Gymglish’s approach.
- Language skills developed: listening, reading, speaking, writing
- Conversations with native speakers all over the world
- Community tool: conversations with members on the app in their mother tongue
- Search options and filters to select the most suitable teacher for the learner
- Access to the “Moments” feed which includes articles, questions and comments posted by both learners and teachers. Any text can be automatically translated by the HelloTalk platform.
Learn a new language with Gymglish
- Language skills tested: reading, listening and writing
- Innovative learning technologies: adaptive learning, spaced learning, and microlearning to ensure retention of knowledge over time
- Access to a User Space which includes the latest lessons and corrections, areas of interest, statistics on each learner’s level, progress and participation rate, etc.
- Fun and engaging content to keep users motivated
- Cultural references at the end of each lesson (films, series, songs, quotes, etc.)
- Free level assessment
- Personalization of lessons according to each learner’s level, strengths and weaknesses
Find out more about Gymglish’s features.
HelloTalk: for which level?
Since the app is social media inspired (connecting students and teachers), HelloTalk is suited to all types of learners, from beginner (A1) to advanced (C1) levels.
Gymglish: for which level?
Gymglish is suitable for all levels except true beginners and offers a free trial after which each learner receives a complete level assessment (containing an outline of their current strengths and weaknesses).
How much does HelloTalk cost?
HelloTalk is free to download and use, but access is limited. Users can sign up for the HelloTalk VIP package to have more “privileges” (at €13/month or €82/year). They can also choose to subscribe to the Lifetime access for €153 which includes extra learning features such as removing advertising, learning three languages at the same time, and more.
How much does Gymglish cost?
All Gymglish’s language course prices are available here.
Gymglish vs. HelloTalk at a glance
|Free trial||Yes||Yes (7 days)|
|User languages||+150 languages||12|
|Number of language courses||+150 languages||5 language courses|
|Platform||Mobile application||IOS and Android mobile application / Desktop|
|Strong points||Adaptive learning Diversity of languages and teachers available Direct contact between teachers and students “Moments” feed (articles, posts etc.)||Adaptive learning Microlearning Spaced learning Fun, humorous content Certification Personalized learning plan Cultural references|
|Prices||From € 13 to €153||From € 14 /month|
|Subscription period||Monthly or yearly||6 to 36 months.|
|Levels||All levels||All levels, except true beginners (A2 to C2)|
|Language skills tested||Listening, reading, speaking, writing||Reading, listening and writing(business and professional English)|
Learn a new language with Gymglish
- Babbel vs. Gymglish: which is best?
- Duolingo vs. Gymglish: which is best?
- Rosetta Stone vs. Gymglish: which is best?
- Mosalingua vs. Gymglish: which is best?
- Busuu vs. Gymglish: which is best?
- Memrise vs. Gymglish: wich is best?
- Lingvist vs. Gymglish: which is best?
- Italki vs Gymglish: which is best?
- Mondly vs. Gymglish: which is best?
- Duolingo English vs. Gymglish: which is best?