Launched in 1992, Rosetta Stone offers a range of software for learning languages. Rosetta Stone is available in 24 languages.
The Rosetta Stone method
Available in more than 150 countries, Rosetta Stone’s teaching method offers an approach that promotes direct, or “natural” understanding without translation, grammatical explanations or vocabulary lists.
This immersion-style language learning program was designed by Allen Stoltzfus.
As the lessons progress, users discover associations between images, sounds and words. The method then proposes sentences based on the knowledge acquired to encourage learners to guess new words.
The Rosetta Stone method is based on several principles:
- Intuitive immersion learning: Rosetta Stone creates sequences of words and images. The user guesses the meaning of new sentences, without translating them.
- Microlearning: 5 to 10-minute lessons
- Pronunciation: Rosetta Stone has a speech recognition engine (“TruAccent”).
- Personalized learning plans: users determine their own learning pace by choosing topics and goals that correspond to their needs (communication at work, travel, family, etc.)
Rosetta Stone is available on desktops and on mobile devices via an app. Users can benefit from a 3-day free trial before purchasing.
The Gymglish method
Since 2004, Gymglish has been offering fun, adaptive online lessons for languages and more, based on regular sessions to optimize long term gains and memorization because there’s no use developing wonderful educational tools if they aren’t used. Gymglish motivates and encourages its users to continue their progress by making e-learning as fun as possible.
- A daily email or push notification: Gymglish users receive a lesson every morning (by email or push notification on mobiles and tablets), making lessons easily accessible. There’s no need to remember passwords or logins, meaning learners are more likely to stay on track.
- Microlearning: 10 to 15 minutes a day is enough to complete a lesson. We recommend short but regular effort over the long run.
- Adaptive learning: Our AI software adapts each lesson to the needs and level of the learner. He or she receives personalized content, explanations and corrections to make sure every minute is well spent.
- Fun, practical content: Our lessons include diverse characters and personalities, various accents, professional and personal situations, all with a touch of humor. Using humor in our storytelling not only motivates the learner and stimulates memorization, but also addresses the great number of different ways we communicate, work and live together.
- Spaced repetition learning: Depending on each individual’s learning speed and capacity to remember, the engine will define different time intervals for reviewing specific points. This optimizes long-term memorization and makes sure revision is as effective as possible.
Click here to find out more about Gymglish’s approach.
Features of Rosetta Stone:
- Language skills tested: listening, reading and speaking (with speech recognition system).
- Microlearning technology: short daily sessions 5 to 10 minutes).
- Rosetta Stone offers a subscription for all of its available languages (24 languages). The user can change the language as often as they like.
- Offline mode: allows the user to download learning units and work without an Internet connection.
- Conversation guide: available for a reduced selection of languages, this guide helps you to pronounce useful expressions like a native speaker.
Features of Gymglish:
- Language skills tested: reading, listening and writing
- Innovative learning technologies: adaptive learning, spaced learning, and microlearning to ensure retention of knowledge over time
- End-of-training learning report with statistics on learner’s level, progress and participation
- Access to a User Space which includes latest lessons and corrections, areas of interest, statistics on each learner’s level, progress and participation rate, etc.
- Fun and engaging content to keep users motivated
- Cultural references at the end of each lesson (films, series, songs, quote, etc.)
- Free level assessment
- Personalization of lessons according to each learner’s level, strengths and weaknesses.
Find out more about Gymglish’s features.
Rosetta Stone: for which level?
Rosetta Stone is suitable for all types of learners and all language levels.
Gymglish: for which level?
Gymglish is suitable for all levels except true beginners and offers a free seven-day trial after which each learner will receive a complete level assessment (containing an outline of their current strengths and weaknesses).
How much does Rosetta Stone cost?
Rosetta Stone has several price and subscription offers:
- €35.97 for 3 months ( €11.99 per month)
- €119.88 for 12 months ( €9.99 per month). This subscription allows users to learn all languages available.
- €189 for a lifetime subscription (gives access to all courses in all available languages).
How much does Gymglish cost?
All Gymglish language course prices are available here.
Gymglish vs. Rosetta Stone at a glance
|Free trial||Yes (3 days)||Yes (7 days)|
|Number of language courses||24||5 language courses|
|Platform||Mobile / Desktop application||IOS and Android mobile application / Desktop|
Subscription available to learn all Rosetta Stone languages
Fun and humorous content
End of training learning report
Personalized pedagogical content
|Prices||From €9.99 /month||From € 14 /month|
|Subscription period||From 3 months to a lifetime subscription||6 to 36 months.|
|Levels||All levels||All levels, except true beginners (A2 to C2)|
|Language skills tested||Listening, reading, speaking||Reading, listening, writing|