Founded in 2010, MosaLingua is an online language course platform (currently offering training in 7 languages). MosaLingua is available on computers, phones and tablets. The platform has over 10 million users.
The MosaLingua method
Getting started. When registering, the platform asks users which themes they would like to focus on in the language they are learning (working abroad, traveling, studying, etc.). The user can then either choose their current level or decide to take an evaluation test (10 questions).
Flashcards. MosaLingua works with a flashcard system. Depending on the selected preferences, MosaLingua automatically shows several flashcards each day. A maximum of 20 cards per day is recommended for optimal learning.
The application then offers several steps to help memorize these vocabulary words: “Listen & Speak”, “Memorize” and “Write”. Learners have to sort the words they have learned into four categories: review, difficult, good or perfect. The MosaLingua application then determines when to review each word, encouraging long-term memorization.
The Mosalingua method is based on:
- Spaced repetition learning: this method is based on the “forgetting curve” where information is reviewed just before users are likely to forget it.
- Active recall: with the flashcard system, learners actively use their memory. This system contributes to long-term retention of knowledge.
- Metacognition: evaluating your own learning to reinforce memory
- The Pareto principle: The vocabulary offered by the app is selected so that learners focus first on the most common words in a language (initial progress is faster this way)
There are two versions of the MosaLingua method: a mobile version (iOS and Android app) and a PC/MAC version. The latter contains additional learning modules (videos, audiobooks, e-books, etc.) and allows learners to learn up to 6,000 words (as opposed to 3,500 for the app).
The Gymglish method
Since 2004, Gymglish has been offering fun, adaptive online lessons for languages and more, based on regular sessions to optimize long-term gains and memorization. There’s no use developing wonderful educational tools if they aren’t used. Gymglish motivates and encourages its users to continue their progress by making e-learning as fun as possible.
- A daily email or push notification: Gymglish users receive a lesson every morning (by email or push notification on mobiles and tablets), making lessons easily accessible. There’s no need to remember passwords and logins, meaning learners are more likely to stay on track.
- Microlearning: 10 to 15 minutes a day is enough to complete a lesson. We recommend short but regular effort over the long run.
- Adaptive learning: Our AI software adapts each lesson to the needs and level of the learner. He or she receives personalized content, explanations and corrections to make sure every minute is well spent.
- Fun, practical content: Our lessons include diverse characters and personalities, various accents, professional and personal situations, all with a touch of humor. Using humor in our storytelling not only motivates the learner and stimulates memorization, but also addresses the great number of different ways we communicate, work and live together.
- Spaced repetition learning: Depending on each individual’s learning speed and capacity to remember, the engine will define different time intervals for reviewing specific points. This optimizes long-term memorization and makes sure revision is as effective as possible.
Click here to find out more about Gymglish’s approach.
- Language skills tested: listening, reading, speaking, writing
- Spaced learning: allows users to review vocabulary over time
- Access to statistics: time spent learning, number of flashcards memorized, etc
- Learners unlock bonuses as they progress
- Access to audio recordings of native speakers and the possibility of recording yourself
- Possibility of downloading a certificate once the application considers that 300 cards have been learned.
- Language skills tested: reading, listening and writing
- Innovative learning technologies: adaptive learning, spaced learning, and microlearning to ensure retention of knowledge over time
- Access to a User Space which includes the latest lessons and corrections, areas of interest, statistics on each learner’s level, progress and participation rate, etc.
- Fun and engaging content to keep users motivated
- Cultural references at the end of each lesson (films, series, songs, quote, etc.)
- Free level assessment
- Personalization of lessons according to each learner’s level, strengths and weaknesses.
Find out more about the Gymglish features.
MosaLingua: for which level?
The platform is suitable for beginner and intermediate levels (up to a B2 level) but not for advanced learners. MosaLingua has a total of 9 levels:
Level 0: The absolute minimum
Level 1: The minimum to survive
Level 2: Able to get by 1
Level 3: Able to get by 2
Level 4: Basic Communication
Level 5: Intermediate communication
Level 6: Advanced terms 1
Level 7: Advanced terms 2
Level 8: Specialized terms 1
Level 9: Specialized terms 2
Gymglish: for which level?
Gymglish is suitable for all levels except true beginners. We offer a free seven-day trial after which each learner will receive a complete level assessment (containing an outline of their current strengths and weaknesses).
How much does MosaLingua cost?
- Mobile application (English, Business English, Spanish, Business Spanish, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, French): €5.49 per language (one-time payment, content available for life).
- PC/Mac version: €59.90 /year. Unlike the app, the computer-based version provides access to additional online resources for further learning.
Users can also choose to subscribe to paid options, such as “mastering slang and informal language” or “speaking like a native”. These options cost between €2 and €15.
How much does Gymglish cost?
All Gymglish language course prices are available here.
Gymglish vs. MosaLingua at a glance
|Free trial||Yes (15 days)||Yes (7 days)|
|Number of language courses||7||5 language courses|
|Platform||Mobile / Desktop application||IOS and Android mobile application / Desktop|
|Strong points||Spaced Learning|
Fun and humorous content
Personalized learning report
Personalized pedagogical content
|Prices||€5.49 for the app // €59.90/year on PC/MAC (excluding options)||From €14 /month|
|Subscription period||No subscription for the app // annual subscription on PC/MAC||6 to 36 months.|
|Levels||Beginner and intermediate levels||All levels, except true beginners (A2 to C2)|
|Language skills tested||Listening, reading, speaking||Reading, listening, writing|
- Duolingo vs. Gymglish: which is best?
- Babbel vs. Gymglish: which is best?
- Rosetta Stone vs. Gymglish: which is best?