Founded in 2010, Memrise is an online language lessons platform currently offering 12 languages.
Memrise is available via desktop, mobile and tablets. The platform has over 35 million users.
The Memrise method
With an interface similar to video games, the Memrise method is based on remembering flash cards in subjects such as general culture, art, science, history, and more.
How does the platform work? Memrise presents a word to the user in their desired language and shows its translation in the user’s native language. The user is then asked to rewrite the word and recognize it in several audio extracts or sentences. Flash cards are followed by mems (a contraction of ‘mnemonics’ and ‘memes’) in the form of text and/or images to foster memorization. Memrise offers additional exercises, including multiple choice questions as well as listening and reading modules. The lesson ends only when the user has obtained a perfect score for each new word learned.
The Memrise method is based on several principles:
Active recall: with the flashcard system, learners actively use their memory. This system contributes to long-term retention of knowledge.
“Gamification”: users collect points to unlock new levels and earn badges if they complete learning sequences over several days without interruption.
Microlearning: short daily sessions.
The Gymglish method
Since 2004, Gymglish has been offering fun, adaptive online lessons for languages and more, based on regular sessions to optimize long term gains and memorization because there’s no use developing wonderful educational tools if they aren’t used. Gymglish motivates and encourages its users to continue their progress by making e-learning as fun as possible.
- A daily email or push notification: Gymglish users receive a lesson every morning (by email or push notification on mobiles and tablets), making lessons easily accessible. There’s no need to remember passwords or logins, meaning learners are more likely to stay on track.
- Microlearning: 10 to 15 minutes a day is enough to complete a lesson. We recommend short but regular effort over the long run.
- Adaptive learning: Our AI software adapts each lesson to the needs and level of the learner. He or she receives personalized content, explanations and corrections to make sure every minute is well spent.
- Fun, practical content: Our lessons include diverse characters and personalities, various accents, professional and personal situations, all with a touch of humor. Using humor in our storytelling not only motivates the learner and stimulates memorization, but also addresses the great number of different ways we communicate, work and live together.
- Spaced repetition learning: Depending on each individual’s learning speed and capacity to remember, the engine will define different time intervals for reviewing specific points. This optimizes long-term memorization and makes sure revision is as effective as possible.
Click here to find out more about Gymglish’s approach.
Features of Memrise:
- Language skills tested: reading, listening and writing and speaking.
- Users can set their learning objectives: 5, 15 or 30 words per day.
- Gamification to foster participation (Memrise is presented as a game in which learners grow a “garden” of words to learn).
- Community spirit: users can create grammar modules and mems in their own language and share with others.
- Audio and video clips recorded by native speakers.
Features of Gymglish:
- Language skills tested: reading, listening and writing
- Innovative learning technologies: adaptive learning, spaced learning, and microlearning to ensure retention of knowledge over time
- End-of-training learning report with statistics on learner’s level, progress and participation
- Access to a User Space which includes latest lessons and corrections, areas of interest, statistics on each learner’s level, progress and participation rate, etc.
- Fun and engaging content to keep users motivated
- Cultural references at the end of each lesson (films, series, songs, quote, etc.)
- Free level assessment
- Personalization of lessons according to each learner’s level, strengths and weaknesses.
Find out more about Gymglish’s features.
Memrise: for which level?
The platform is suitable for all language levels except advanced. When registering, users can choose between beginner and intermediate levels. The latter is divided into 7 levels depending on learning objectives (vocabulary, conversation, colloquial expressions, etc.).
Gymglish: for which level?
Gymglish is suitable for all levels except true beginners and offers a free seven-day trial after which each learner will receive a complete level assessment (containing an outline of their current strengths and weaknesses).
How much does Memrise cost?
The platform is free. There is a paid version which allows access to learning statistics, and alloes exchanges with other users and access to courses offline. Prices range from €2.92/month for an annual subscription to €8.99/month for a monthly subscription. Memrise also offers a lifetime subscription for €139.99.
How much does Gymglish cost?
All Gymglish language course prices are available here.
Gymglish vs. Memrise at a glance
|Free trial||Yes||Yes (7 days)|
|Certification||No||Yes (Gymglish certificate)|
|Number of language courses||12||5 language courses|
|Platform||Mobile app / Desktop||IOS and Android mobile application / Desktop|
|Strong points||Flash cards|
Fun and humorous content
Personalized learning plan
|Prices||Free version available|
Premium version: from € 2.92 / month
|From € 14 /month|
|Subscription period||Monthly, annual or for life||6 to 36 months.|
|Levels||Beginner and intermediate levels||All levels, except true beginners (A2 to C2)|
|Language skills tested||Listening, reading, speaking, writing||Reading, listening, writing|
Related articles :