Launched in 2012, Duolingo is an online language platform which currently offers training in 37 languages.
Duolingo is available on computers, phones and tablets. More than 30 million people worldwide currently use this learning platform*.
The Duolingo method
The Duolingo method uses a video game-style graphic environment and offers short daily grammar and vocabulary exercises. Users earn “XP” (experience points) whenever they complete a lesson, allowing them to reach more advanced levels.
The application’s home screen consists of a tree with branches leading to different modules which can be unlocked as the learner progresses. Each module focuses on a grammar or vocabulary point and offers several exercises. Each lesson is made up of 20 questions.
The Duolingo method is based on:
- Personalized learning: lessons and exercises are personalized and adapted to the needs of each learner.
- Immediate corrections: learners can instantly find out if their answer is correct or not.
- A reward system: as lessons are completed, learners earn virtual points (which unlock levels).
The Gymglish method
Since 2004, Gymglish has been offering fun, adaptive online lessons for languages and more, based on regular sessions to optimize long term gains and memorization. There’s no use developing wonderful educational tools if they aren’t used. Gymglish motivates and encourages its users to continue their progress by making e-learning as fun as possible.
- A daily email or push notification: Gymglish users receive a lesson every morning (by email or push notification on mobiles and tablets), making lessons easily accessible. There’s no need to remember passwords and logins, meaning learners are more likely to stay on track.
- Microlearning: 10 to 15 minutes a day is enough to complete a lesson. We recommend short but regular effort over the long run.
- Adaptive learning: Our AI software adapts each lesson to the needs and level of the learner. He or she receives personalized content, explanations and corrections to make sure every minute is well spent.
- Fun, practical content: Our lessons include diverse characters and personalities, various accents, professional and personal situations, all with a touch of humor. Using humor in our storytelling not only motivates the learner and stimulates memorization, but also addresses the great number of different ways we communicate, work and live together.
- Spaced repetition learning: Depending on each individual’s learning speed and capacity to remember, the engine will define different time intervals for reviewing specific points. This optimizes long-term memorization and makes sure revision is as effective as possible.
Click here to find out more about Gymglish’s approach.
- Learners can set daily goals for themselves
- Language skills tested: listening, speaking and translation
- Spaced learning, which allows learners to review grammar and vocabulary as they go along
- Microlearning technology: short daily learning sessions
- Gamification to foster engagement
- Collaborative learning: learners can invite their contacts to take part in “duels”
- In 2014, the platform introduced the Duolingo English Test (DET) (€43) which certifies a learner’s level of English. The online test consists of a series of exercises to be completed in 45 minutes, followed by a 10-minute video interview
- Language skills tested: reading, listening and writing
- Innovative learning technologies: adaptive learning, spaced learning, and microlearning to ensure retention of knowledge over time
- End-of-training certificate with statistics on each learner’s level, progress and participation
- Access to a User Space which includes latest lessons and corrections, areas of interest, statistics on each learner’s level, progress and participation rate, etc.
- Fun and engaging content to keep users motivated
- Cultural references at the end of each lesson (films, series, songs, quote, etc.)
- Free level assessment
- Personalization of lessons according to each learner’s level, strengths and weaknesses.
Find out more about the many Gymglish features.
Duolingo: for which level?
The platform is suitable for all levels, except advanced learners. If the learner isn’t a beginner, Duolingo offers a free level assessment test at the beginning of the course (containing around 20 questions) in order to determine the learner’s initial level.
Gymglish: for which level?
Gymglish is suitable for all levels except true beginners. We offer a free seven-day trial after which each learner will receive a complete level assessment (containing an outline of their current strengths and weaknesses).
How much does Duolingo cost?
The basic version of Duolingo – which features advertising – is free. There is also an ad-free version called “Duolingo Plus” which starts at €6.30/month (for a 12-month subscription) and which doesn’t require an internet connection.
How much does Gymglish cost?
All Gymglish language course prices are available here
Gymglish vs. Duolingo at a glance
|Free trial||Yes (7 days)||Yes (7 days)|
|Certification||Yes (Duolingo English test)||Yes (Gymglish certificate)|
|Number of language courses||37||4 language courses|
|Platform||Mobile app / Desktop||IOS and Android mobile application / Desktop|
Fun and humorous content
Personalized pedagogical content
|Prices||Free or €6.30/month for Duolingo Plus||From € 14 /month|
|Subscription period||6 or 12 months||6 to 36 months|
|Levels||All levels (except advanced)||All levels, except true beginners (A2 to C2)|
|Language skills tested||Listening, speaking, translation||Reading, listening, writing|