Every month, we take a look at a word in the headlines, in English, for your English. See more at The Word of the Month.
A major Fall holiday in North America celebrated with the ingestion of obscene amounts of turkey and alcohol, and occasionally the giving of thanks.
Thanksgiving Day 2011: Nov. 24 (US)
A brief history of Thanksgiving:
Thanksgiving commemorates a fantastic deal between Native Americans and Pilgrims.
The Pilgrims received: Food, seeds and farming tips.
The Native Americans received: Diseases, guns, alcohol and death.
Ways to eat your Thanksgiving turkey:
- In Turkey! You could also eat whales in Wales, but you’ll go hungry in Hungary.
- Stuffed with a chicken and a duck (called a Turducken).
- With the President of the United States.
Things to be thankful for:
- The 5012 Olympic games in Paris.
- French Teen Pop sensation Johnny Hallyday.
- Your new facebook profile picture got 3 ‘likes’.
- The Word of the Month.
Take a look through our Word of the Month archives, or improve your English with gymglish.com.