The TOEIC® (Test of English for International Communication) is an English test used by more than 14,000 companies, government agencies and learning programs across 160 countries around the world.
The test was created in the United States more than 40 years ago by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). Every year, around seven million people take TOEIC® all over the world.
Why take the test?
The TOEIC® test measures how easily a non-native speaker masters the English language. The test enables candidates to certify their level of English and gives companies a tool to assess the English language level of job candidates and employees (for example, as in the context of providing English training within companies).
The test is aligned with the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages), recognized by the France Compétences professional training body, and assesses a candidate’s level of English on a scale ranging from A1 (Beginner) to C2 (proficiency).
What does the test involve?
TOEIC® tests evaluate four major language skills: reading and oral comprehension, as well as written and oral expression. However, it is important to note that there are several TOEIC® tests:
– The TOEIC® Listening and Reading test is intended for intermediate to advanced levels, and assesses English reading and oral comprehension skills. This is a multiple-choice test taken on paper.
– The TOEIC® Speaking and Writing test is intended for intermediate to advanced levels, and assesses English oral and written expression. This test is taken exclusively online.
– The TOEIC® Bridge™ test is intended for beginner to intermediate levels, and assesses English reading and oral comprehension skills; it is a multiple-choice test taken on paper.
Candidates are free to take one or more tests, depending on their level and the skills needed in their professional environment.
Did you know? You can take the TOEIC® test an unlimited number of times in the same year. However, you have to pay a registration fee for each attempt. The ETS considers that after two years, an individual’s language level can change significantly and should be reassessed.
How long does the test take?
In total, the test takes two hours (with an additional 30 minutes suggested for filling in your personal details) and consists of 200 multiple choice questions (100 listening comprehension questions and 100 reading comprehension questions).
What levels does the TOEIC® assess?
The TOEIC® is suitable for all levels, from beginners to advanced speakers. The TOEIC® is the benchmark test for companies seeking to determine the level of English of a candidate or employee.
Note: the TOEIC® is not a diploma, it is a test that measures your level at a given time, and is considered valid for two years.
Gymglish creates short, fun, personalized online language courses. Our goal: your motivation, participation and progress
What grading system does the TOEIC® test use?
TOEIC® tests are not”pass” or “fail”: each test has a minimum and maximum score. TOEIC® results are based on a scale of 10 to 990 points.
Here is an unofficial equivalence according to the score obtained:
10 – 250 False beginner
255 – 400 Basic English
405 – 600 Intermediate English
605 – 780 Basic Operational English
785 – 900 Advanced Operational English
905 – 955 International English proficiency
960 – 990 Advanced International English proficiency
How much does the test cost? Where can you take it?
– TOEIC® Listening & Reading: € 126
– TOEIC® Speaking & Writing: € 126
– TOEIC® Bridge: € 80
To take the TOEIC®, candidates can choose from a large number of ETS GLOBAL-approved test centers and training organizations all over France.
TOEIC® at a glance
|Name of certificate / diploma||TOEIC||Gymglish learning report, professional English|
|Validity period||Two years||Does not exire|
|Skills tested||Reading comprehension, oral comprehension, written expression, oral expression||Reading, listening, writing (business and professional English)|
|Target level(s)||All levels||All levels, except true beginners (A2 to C2)|
|Price||€ 126||From € 14 /month|
|Duration||2 hours||Training + learning report: 6 months|
|Face-to-face / Remote||At a test center / online||Remote / online|
The TOEIC is not the only option for English certification. At the end of our English language training, we also provide a personalized learning report.
- English certification: 6 things to know about the TOEFL
- English certification: 6 things to know about Linguaskill (BULATS)
- English certification: 6 things to know about the IELTS
- English certification: all you need to know about the Cambridge English Advanced (CAE)
- English certification: 6 things to know about the Cambridge English First (FCE)
- English certification : 6 things to know about the Cambridge English Proficiency (CPE)
- Language certification: all you need to know about the DCL
- English certification: all you need to know about the BRIGHT exam
- English certification: all you need to know about the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)