Every month, we take a look at a word in the headlines, in English, for your English. See more at The Word of the Month.
Recipe (ress-i-pee): a set of ingredients, a formula, often for cooking.
Recipe for success: a winning formula, ex: most years before 2020.
Recipe for disaster: a losing formula ex: the ensuing years.
Recipe for a modern year 1/3
- In an Earth-sized mixing bowl, add 3 spoons of climate crisis.
- Mix in 5 liters of rapidly-spreading global pandemic with divisive political implications.
- Pour in 3 to 4 nationalist outbreaks and shake violently.
Recipe for a modern year 2/3
- In an oven, light the economy on fire for 11-12 months.
- Prepare a baking sheet with 6 cups of Internet disinformation.
- After 100 days, remove any democratic norms remaining.
Recipe for a modern year 3/3
- Toss a handful of incoherent confinement rules into a pot.
- While boiling, add a pinch of police abuse on film.
- Melt 2 polar ice caps into the mix.
- Add multiple Covid variants to taste