Wars have been fought over less. Luckily for you, Gymglish has compiled, illustrated and made light of 15 absolutely essential differences between UK English and US English.
1) Jumper vs. Sweater
This first tip is all about tops. You could even say it’s tip top. But you probably shouldn’t.
2) Biscuit vs. Cookie
Tip #2 may leave crumbs.
3) Pushchair vs. Stroller
Tip #3 is one that you can really push around. Don’t be a baby about it, though
4) Lift vs. Elevator
Tip #4 will take you to the top, but may skip the 13th floor.
5) Lorry vs. Truck
Tip #5 carries a lot of junk in the trunk and/or bonnet.
6) Trousers vs. Pants
Tip #6 may help you avoid a delightful misunderstanding in regards to nether regions.
7) Car park vs. Parking lot
Tip #7 may help you find a good parking spot.
8) Motorway vs. Highway
Tip #8 will take you places, but avoid any hitchhikers you find on the way.
9) Underground vs. Subway
Tip #9 may awaken subterranean homesick blues. Proceed with caution.
10) Bill vs. Check
Tip #10 can be split 5 ways but you should be sure to tip at least 15-20%.
11) Petrol vs. gas
Tip #11 is highly flammable. Wars are often fought over it, but we promise to keep politics out of the picture.
12) Nappy vs. Diaper
Tip #12 may make a dirty situation a bit cleaner.
13) Cooker vs. Stove
Tip #13 may start a grease fire in the kitchen.
14) Hoover vs. Vacuum cleaner
Tip #14 doesn’t suck, contrary to its primary function.
15) Mobile vs. Cellphone
You’ll take tip #15 with you everywhere except the shower.
Bonus: Holiday vs. Vacation
This last tip generally provides a relaxing break.
The tips above aren’t enough for you? You’re insatiable. Why not try our English course Gymglish for more top tips?
Going further :
- 4 untranslatable English words to keep in your back pocket at all times
- 5 dumb slang terms on the web that surely won’t stand the test of time
- 5 Aussie slang words that may briefly delay you from being identified as a foreigner.
- 5 British slang words you’ll be keen on after reading this article
- 5 Canadian slang words you need to know
- The differences between UK and US English
- 5 English insults we would never use because we love you
- The 10 ultimate false friends
- 5 dumb reasons to learn English