Every month, we take a look at a word in the headlines, in English, for your English. See more at The Word of the Month.
A debt is a sum of money owed.
A debt crisis is what is happening right now. If you can afford a window, look out of it.
Note: The ‘B’ in ‘Debt’ is silent, like a Swiss banker.
Debtocracy Now: A crisis in numbers
127 — The average number of credit cards owned per person in the US.
704 vs 28,841 (USD) — China’s average debt per capita compared to the US. (Real number)
5 — The number of fingers on the average human hand. (This one’s real too)
- China: We have an agreement now!
- Loan Sharks: Always open for business
- Scrooge McDuck: Diving enthusiast
- Future generations
- Uncle Sam (the US government): 12 trillion in debt, but it’s ok, they can print more money.
- Your little brother Joe (Where’s my money, Joe?)